Page as PDF
Mars Chocolate North America is plugged into the Christmas season with a festive lineup of innovative new items and returning favorites. Mars’ iconic brands -- M&M’S®, SNICKERS®, TWIX®, MILKY WAY®, DOVE® and 3 MUSKETEERS® -- make the season merry and bright for a variety of usage occasions including decorating, snacking, gifting, stuffing stockings, baking and more.
- In 2015, consumers spent $1 billion on chocolate candy during the Christmas season.1
- In 2014, 90% of consumers participated in the season, and on average, those purchasing Christmas chocolate bought more than four packages of chocolate candy and spent more than $23.2
- More consumers purchase chocolate candy for Christmas than for any other holiday.2
- Chocolate plays a critical role in all key usage occasions: Decorating & Snacking, Baking, Gifting & Stocking Stuffers and Impulse Buys.2
- Thirty-nine percent of consumers who celebrate Christmas stuff stockings, and 81% include chocolate candy.2
- Eighty-six percent of consumers who participated in Christmas gave a gift to someone.2
- Decorating and snacking is one of the largest holiday chocolate segments, accounting for 47% of holiday chocolate sales.3
- Of consumers who purchased chocolate for the season, the most popular reason (61%) was to fill their candy bowl at home.2
- Sixty-five percent of consumers bake at Christmas, with nearly 40% using chocolate candies in their recipes. 2
- Shoppers start baking 2-3 weeks prior to the season, so retailers should coordinate their displays during these peak weeks.2
- M&M’S® Brand remains the top-selling brand for the Christmas Chocolate category and is the #1 purchased item for stockings, candy bowls and gifting.2
- DOVE® Chocolate was the fastest growing brand at Christmas in 2015.1
Displays and Graphics
Mars lights up the candy aisle this Christmas with festive graphics, optimized product mixes and brightly colored displays. Research shows that quality merchandising displays catch shoppers’ attention to increase sales through early purchases and impulse buys. To drive holiday sales, retailers should begin setting Christmas displays eight weeks in advance of the holiday.
To ensure a merry holiday for consumers and glowing sales for retailers, Mars will unwrap a multi-media, multi-brand marketing campaign. Highlights include holiday-themed television commercials, national print advertising, digital ads, high-value FSIs, colorful POP displays with the fun-loving M&M’S® Characters and social media.
To learn more about new offerings for Christmas 2016, please click on the PDF icon above to view the fact sheet.
1. Nielsen 2015 Christmas Diagnostic Review 8 w/e 12/26/15.
2. Beacon 2 Christmas Season 2014.
3. Nielsen Christmas 2015 Total US 8 W/E 12/26/15.
- MEDIA CONTACT:
- Ampy Vasquez (973) 691-3536