Page as PDF
Valentine's Day 2017
Cupid aims his bow and arrow toward sweet sales for Mars Chocolate North America this Valentine’s Day season. A heart-pumping lineup of innovative new items and returning favorites across Mars’ iconic brands -- M&M’S®, SNICKERS®, TWIX®, MILKY WAY®, 3 MUSKETEERS® and DOVE® Chocolate -- attracts consumers seeking delicious chocolate for gifting, exchanges, decorating, snacking and baking.
- 92 percent of shoppers purchase chocolate for the Valentine’s Day season.1
- The Shapes segment remained flat in 2016; however, sales of Mars Shapes increased by double-digit percentages.2
- Mars chocolate has three of the top five SKUs.3
- The Stand-up Bags Segment was the fastest growing segment, growing +15.1 percent.2
- 72 percent of consumers purchase chocolate to give to their special someone, children, friends and teachers.4
- Gifting is the #1 usage occasion during Valentine’s Day with 86 percent of consumers participating.1
- 91 percent of teacher gifts at Valentine’s Day are chocolate. DOVE® and M&M’S® are the #1 and #3 brands purchased for and desired by teachers.5
- Shoppers are willing to spend around $5 for teacher gifts,6 and packaging in Valentine’s or teacher themes is an important factor for purchasing.5
- 37 percent of consumers participate in decorating and snacking with snacking at home being the second-most-popular activity behind gifting.4
- Consumers show they care with baking,7 and 33 percent of consumers participate in baking during the Valentine’s season.1
- 26 percent of consumers participate in Valentine’s Day exchanges.1
- Mars Mixed Chocolate Variety Bag is #1 in the segment.2
- M&M’S® is the #1 brand for Valentine’s Day candy bowls.8
- Dove is a top brand for Valentine’s Day and is rated the #1 best-tasting milk chocolate.9
Displays and Graphics
It’s love at first sight with Mars’ array of festive product packaging and eye-catching floorstands and displays. Loaded with a variety of items at key price points, secondary displays make Valentine’s Day shopping easy and increase sales through impulse buys and early purchases.
For Valentine’s Day 2017, Mars is increasing its media spend to support chocolate brands M&M’S®, DOVE®, SNICKERS®, MILKY WAY® and TWIX® brands. Highlights include general and Hispanic market support; television advertising throughout the season; print advertising in national publications; a high-value FSI; digital support on highly trafficked sites; and social media.
To learn more about new offerings for Valentine's Day 2017, please click on the PDF icon above to view the fact sheet.
1. The Candy Dish i-community 2015 Valentine’s Day Exploration Final Report
2. Nielsen 8 WE 2/20/16
3. Nielsen Valentine’s Season 2/20/16
4. 2015 Valentine’s Exploration Report
5. The Candy Dish i-Community Valentine’s Day Teacher Gifting Report April 2014
6. Mars Qualitative Immersion Real Insight
7. Mars Quantitative Survey i-Community February 2015
8. Valentine’s Day A&J Report 2012
9. Valentine’s Day Beacon 2013 Report
10. MARS Valentine’s Day Portfolio Analysis May 2015.
11. Nielsen L52 12/26/15
- MEDIA CONTACT:
- Ampy Vasquez (973) 691-3536